Complaints Procedure


We sincerely hope that the need will not arise, but should you wish to make a complaint:


Please firstly refer informally to the class teacher. It is expected that most issues will be settled in this way.


However, if this is not possible, please make an appointment with the head teacher.


If the head teacher does not resolve the problem, parents should write to the governors of the school detailing the nature of the complaint.


The governors will then consider the complaint and, through consultation with all interested parties, try to find a resolution.


Should the head teacher and governors fail to resolve the difficulty, a parent may then wish to notify the Secretary of State.


A full copy of these arrangements for the consideration of complaints about this school are available on request.




Concerns and Complaints: A Guide for Parents and Carers